Although most people are not sensitive to resins and hardeners, the risk of becoming sensitised increases with repeated contact. For those who become sensitised, the severity of the reaction may increase with each contact.
The hazards associated with PRO-SET resins and hardeners also apply to the sanding dust from epoxy that has not fully cured. These hazards decrease as resin/hardener mixtures reach full cure.
To handle PRO-SET epoxies safely, we recommend that you observe the following precautions:
Avoid contact with uncured epoxy
Avoid contact with resin, hardeners, mixed epoxy and sanding dust from epoxy that is not fully cured. Wear protective gloves and clothing whenever you handle epoxies.
If you do get resin, hardener or mixed epoxy on your skin, remove it as soon as possible. Resin is not water soluble—use a waterless skin cleanser, such as WEST SYSTEM 820 Resin Removing Cream, to remove resin or mixed epoxy from your skin. Hardener is water soluble—wash with soap and warm water to remove hardener or sanding dust from your skin. Always wash thoroughly with soap and warm water after using epoxy. Never use solvents to remove epoxy from your skin.
Stop using the product if you develop a reaction. Resume work only after the symptoms disappear, usually after several days. When you resume work, improve your safety precautions to prevent exposure to epoxy, its vapours and sanding dust. If problems persist, discontinue use and consult a doctor.
Wear eye protection
Protect your eyes from contact with resin, hardeners, mixed epoxy, and sanding dust by wearing appropriate eye protection. If contact occurs, immediately flush the eyes with water under low pressure for 15 minutes. Seek medical attention.
Do not inhale vapour or dust
Avoid breathing concentrated vapours and sanding dust. PRO-SET epoxies have low volatile organic compound (VOC) content, but vapours can build up in unvented spaces.
Provide ample ventilation when working with epoxy in confined spaces. When adequate ventilation is not possible, wear an HSC (Health & Safety Commission) approved respirator with an organic vapour cartridge. Provide ventilation and wear a dust mask when sanding epoxy, especially uncured epoxy. Breathing uncured epoxy dust increases your risk of sensitisation. Although epoxy cures quickly to a sandable solid, it may take over two weeks at room temperature, or post-curing, to cure completely.
Avoid ingestion. Wash thoroughly after handling epoxy, especially before eating or smoking. If epoxy is swallowed, drink large quantities of water—DO NOT induce vomiting. Because hardeners are corrosive, they can cause additional harm if vomited. Call a doctor immediately.
Clean up spills safely
Clean up spills with a scraper, collecting as much material as possible. Follow up with absorbent towels. Use sand, clay or other inert absorbent material to contain large spills. Do not use sawdust or other fine cellulosic materials to absorb hardeners. Clean resin or mixed epoxy residue with acetone, lacquer, thinner or alcohol. Follow all safety warnings on solvent containers. Clean hardener residue with warm soapy water. Do not dispose of hardener in waste containing saw dust or other fine cellulosic materials—spontaneous combustion can occur.
Dispose of waste products safely
Dispose of resin, hardener and empty containers safely. Puncture a corner of the can and drain residue into the appropriate new container of resin or hardener.
Do not dispose of resin or hardener in a liquid state. Waste resin and hardener can be mixed and cured (in small quantities) to a non-hazardous inert solid.
Caution: Pots of curing epoxy can get hot enough to ignite surrounding combustible materials and give off hazardous fumes. Place pots of mixed epoxy in a safe and ventilated area, away from workers and combustible materials. Dispose of the solid mass only if cure is complete and the mass has cooled. Follow local disposal regulations.